Do you need new windows for your home? Some homeowners are hesitant about installing new windows because they aren’t sure how worth it the project will be. Window professionals often hear “how do replacement windows save money?”
In short, replacement windows are a good investment.
According to Remodeling magazine’s 2013 Cost vs. Value Report, you can recoup much of the cost of replacing your old, drafty windows with new vinyl and wood windows. In the region including the DC metropolitan area:
- Midrange vinyl window replacement costing $9,268 has a resale value of $6,906 and a cost recouped value of 74.5 percent.
- Midrange wood window replacement costing $10, 160 has a resale value of $7,592 and a cost recouped value of 74.7 percent.
How Replacement Windows Save Money
Today’s replacement windows are more energy-efficient than they were years ago. Replacement windows can help you save on your energy bills. Most windows today feature:
- Multiple panes: modern replacement windows often have two or three panes of glass, and for even more energy efficiency, many panes have gas fills between them (argon or krypton).
- Better window glazing: Certain window glazing (glass) can help improve the energy efficiency of a window—such as low-E glass, reflective coatings, etc.
- Thick glass: The thicker the glass, the better the insulating effectiveness of the window.
Although energy-efficient windows may cost more upfront, they can pay for themselves and help you save money in the long run. Architectural/special shape windows may also be a bit more expensive, but when it comes to long-term energy savings, new window that are replacing old, drafty ones will help you tremendously.
Replacement Windows in Maryland, DC & Virginia
Contact us to learn more about our services!