As the weather cools down in the Washington DC area, homeowners are hurrying to winterize their homes so they can use the least amount of energy possible while staying comfortable. If you’ve been considering replacing your old windows with more energy-efficient models, now is the time to act. However, choosing new windows can be confusing. You may have heard of double-hung windows, but how much do you really know about them?
What Are Double-Hung Windows?
Double-hung windows are windows that open from both the top and the bottom without using any exterior or interior space. These are the traditional sash windows that you see on colonial-style homes, sometimes with mullions that divide the window into six or more panes. Unlike casement windows, which open into the room or into the exterior of the home, these windows slide up and down to open and close.
Today’s double-hung windows combine traditional styling with modern, energy-efficient design. Many windows now have double (and sometimes triple) panes of glass to provide extra insulation. Many designs also tilt in and out for easy cleaning.
Benefits of Double-Hung Windows
Double-hung replacement windows offer a number of benefits. In addition to the excellent ventilation they offer, double-hung windows are:
- Energy-efficient. Even the best windows develop gaps around them over time as your home settles slightly and the wood in the window expands and contracts. This is especially true of windows made 20 or more years ago. Replacement windows help you keep that warm air in the house where it belongs.
- Easy to maintain. Since most modern double-hung windows tilt in, they are extremely easy to clean. In addition, there’s no need to mess with storm windows, since these replacement windows sometimes have an extra pane of glass built right in.
- Safe. If you have pets or young children and worry about leaving your windows open, this is not a problem if you have double-hung windows! You can leave the upper sash open to still get a nice breeze, but safety won’t be an issue.
Why Choose Shanco for Double-Hung Windows?
Why should you choose Shanco for your new or replacement window project? Not only are we double-hung window experts, but we also:
- Have experience – Shanco has over 20 years of experience in the home improvement industry
- Are Lead-Safe certified by the EPA
- Won 2011 Angie’s List Super Service Award, which is only achieved by 5 percent of businesses rated on Angie’s List, a national leading provider of consumer reviews for home and health service providers
- Provide superior service – customer satisfaction is a top priority; in fact, “Customer Satisfaction is our #1 Goal!” is our motto we live by every day
Now that you can answer the question, “What is a double-hung window?” it’s time to see if this style is right for you! The experts at Shanco can help you with this. Please contact us today!