The springtime can be beautiful here in the DC metropolitan area—but not if your windows are old and drafty. Energy-inefficient windows can cause all sorts of problems, from air leaks to mold growth. Are your windows up to par? If they need to be repaired or replaced, now is the time to act.
It’s best to take care of any window maintenance in March or early April—but better late than never!
Springtime Window Maintenance Tips
There are several things you can do to help ensure your windows are in good condition for the spring and warm months ahead.
- Check for drafts: If there are drafts inside near the windows, they probably have broken seals or air leaks around them. Broken seals need to be fixed and air leaks need to be sealed—or your energy bills will skyrocket!
- Clean your windows: Nobody likes to clean their windows—although not a fun task, it’s necessary. Dirty windows don’t look good and are more likely to experience problems. Check out our window cleaning tips.
- Inspect your windows for:
- Deteriorating sash
- Rotting sill
- Mold growth on the sill or between the sash and frame
- Excess condensation
Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to prevent window problems, but with inspection and maintenance, you can reduce the risk of major issues arising—and help keep your windows looking great all year long.
Window Services in Maryland, DC & Northern Virginia
Shanco provides window services in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and can help you with your repair or replacement. We install both vinyl and wood windows and have experience working with all styles, including:
- Bay and bow
- Geometric/specialty shape
Whatever your window needs, contact us today!